Subject: Re: UKNM: Newspapers shaft dot-coms big time
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 16:33:17 GMT

Speechradataol [dot] com wrote:

> In a message dated 22/01/00 19:47:28 GMT Standard Time, rayateyeconomy [dot] com
> writes:
>
> << Media Week, Jan 21, front page, by Amy Vickers: "Agency chiefs say dotcom
> clients are being charged up to 50% more for slots, claiming that Associated
> Newspapers, The Guardian, The Times, The Express and Financial Times have
> all inflated their prices." >>
> Anyone got the email address for that e-envoy bloke ? If so, how about
> forwarding this to him.
>
> Been, there, seen that. Sad to say this is not the first time the IT
> industry has been stabbed in the back by the press and the 'communications
> establishment' such as exhibition organisers.

what a bunch of self-pitying tripe. I think Ian summed it up nicely. you
want to complain to the e-envoy about this? apart from the fact that
he's too busy ripping mp3s of his grateful dead collection,
(http://www3.clearlight.com/~acsa/alex.htm), you think he'll really give
a shit that you're whinging because you have to compete.

when there's large demand for a resource, prices go up. Newspapers were
flooded before christmas with a huge demand for advertising from a load
of companies they've never heard of, and had no idea whether they'd be
around next year (so no discount from ratecard). demand outstripped
supply. wow.

> In the 80's the Which? Computer show was a really effective and useful show,
> filling 4 Halls at the NEC at a time when 'computer companies' were seen as
> goldmines. The cost of exhbiting was around 235 gbp per sq m. The rate
> charged for a craft fair filling 4 halls at the same time was 150 gbp. I was
> told that similar rates applied to most non IT exhibitions and that the
> London price differentials were similar.

I strongly suspect that an IT exhibition is 30% more expensive to put on
than a trinket fair.

> At the same time, the mainly London based IT press, it appeared to me, rarely
> had a good word to say about this Birmingham based show, strangely the London
> shows, with which their companies were often associated, seemed to me to get
> pretty favourable coverage.
> By the end of the 80's Which had shrunk to less than one hall and finally
> died.

so they priced themselves out of the market. big deal.

> Many smaller (start up) companies were unable to meet the cost of high
> exhibition charges and the higher cost of staying in London. The end result?
> Little choice and Bill and a few other mainly foreign companies now influence
> the whole IT world.

you're telling me that Microsoft is dominant because trade exhibitions
were too expensive in london in the late 80s? you're deranged.

> These attitudes need to be highlighted and changed -
> The Net is *not* geographical and the London-centric press and finance
> establishments need to show more interest in companies outside London.
> Everyone I met at last year's e-commerce exhibition at the NEC said it was
> successful. The recent NorthofWatford (free) events in Birmingham have been
> extremely useful. Let's keep them going as well as the London exhibitions.
> VC's and press get yourselves to events like NorthofWatfortd.com outside
> London, as well as to First Tuesday.

absolutely. good luck to you. but a bit of advice: you'll get a lot
further with positive co-ordination and action than moaning about how
spoilt us londoners are.

> Fair trade and fair competition policies should start at home. Instead of

non-intererence in the markets is probably a good start.

jesus, you've made me sound like a bloody capitalist now.

stefan

--
/**
Stefan Magdalinski, computin mobile:07931 376142