Subject: Re: UKNM: Newspapers shaft dot-coms big time
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 18:35:18 GMT

Ian Betteridge <ianbatwell [dot] com> wrote:

> > Is such a move justified by the huge budgets being thrown at dot-com
> > launches by VCs and the competitive nature of print and web or is it
just a
> > cynical attempt to cash in on internet fever? Or are the 'papers just
> > running scared of online and trying to push back the tide?
>
> Willing buyer meets willing seller. Game over.

True, a deal is a deal, but the newspapers might find that long-term
business relationships are not helped by ripping off new clients. Also, the
assumption that dot-com launches are loaded with VC millions is a dangerous
one from this industry's point of view. Unless of course you are in favour
of the survival of the richest principle.

And if there really is a newspaper agreement keeping media prices high (as
opposed to use of the term 'cartel' merely for journalistic effect) then the
parties to the price agreement are breaking the law.

But if nothing else, it gives me another good reason to advise clients
against spending too much money on ink and paper.

Ray Taylor