Subject: Re: UKNM: Newspapers shaft dot-coms big time
From: Manou Marzban
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:10:14 GMT

Bryan wrote;

> 1) Most of the dotcoms are looking to run Full Page, 4clr ads in National Press
> to create impact and standout. The problem here is that Newspapers only have a
> limited number of colour slots per issue. Basic Supply & Demand time, if a
> newspaper on has 5 colour slots and 7 companies want colour space, you have a
> problem!

Many magazines simply add pages if they feel they can rake in serious ad money. Especially the dodgy ones...and there are plenty. Newspapers work differently - they'll just sell spots at a premium - no negotiations - no deals.

> 3) Posters are unlikely to rise in the short term, since the ban on tobacco
> advertising is going to leave some excess supply in the market. This is likely
> to be filled by the dotcoms, but for the next 12 months, I'd be surprised if the
> prices go through the roof as they have on the Outdoor sites in Silicon Valley
> (were $5,000 per month 12 months ago and now are $20,000 per month!)

Very true. Because - physically, you may not be able to add more billboards on a piece of Real Estate - thus, prices sky rocket, as in the Valley.

> 4) With regards to TV, the fact that the stations are only allowed to run 7
> minutes of advertising per hour has always caused price fluctuations. This is a
> medium where cost is very much based on Supply vs Demand. If the dotcoms get
> their TV planned far enough in advance to avoid Advance Booking deadlines (circa
> 2 months prior to the month of showing) then it is unlikely that they are going
> to get hit by rates any different from other TV Advertisers.

This was a shock to me; a friend that is pretty high on the totem pole at BBDO mentioned that, as in Real Estate deals, advertisers can get gazumped. How? They will agree to a slot, and a fee - yet if another advertiser comes in higher - they get the slot. Apparently, this happens in the UK, not in the US - where the contracts are more binding. Can anyone add light to this?

> Easiest way (and also the hardest for most companies) to avoid high costs is to
> plan way in advance i.e. don't try and book and ad 2 days before it's due to
> appear. By planning in advance and booking as much as possible (you can always
> cancel and re-book if the market shifts and you need to change your strategy!),
> you'll keep the rates down and increase your chance of getting those nice early
> positions!!

Not sure I agree. When you book in advance - especially in print media - you agree via a confirmation order. If your strategy changes - and you desire to change your ad, (in size, design or issue placement), you will find it challenging to get the magazine or newspaper to play ball - especially if they are near deadlines, which is understandable. The advantage of early booking is preffered placement. Thats all. Negotiating rates is always tricky - how many of you actually pay rate card numbers? You save £££ by multiple bookings and working on developing a relationship with the advertising/sales folks. Also - if positioning is not important - wait till the last possible moment - and you may get a £2500 spot for £400!

--
Manou Marzban
BiblioTech