Subject: RE: UKNM: Boo startles with job cuts
From: Cait Hurley
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 19:12:24 GMT

Why is everyone so worried here?

1) On a site like Boo, why the hell would you read a magazine? Has anyone
read it at all? It's a ludicrous economic drain, and I'll bet the site
stats showed that pitiful numbers viewed it.

2) It's not xmas any more. They don't need as much staff as they did in the
pre-xmas rush to get product shipped and could they possibly have
overestimated how many staff they actually needed? I've only had to talk to
an e-comm site's customer services once in uh... three years?

If the site launched in March follows all the sensible usability
structuring and HTML build that the *first* one should have (and y'all know
it can still be cool and look great so no whingeing please), they'll have
so many sales they'll be re-employing like crazy, because everyone knows
the brand, they've done a cracking job with the advertising.

Quit the negativo-ness, and think constructively about what this experience
shows us ie: if you want to sell - just sell. Make the shopping experience
quick, as enjoyable and as relevant as possible. And that means, even with
broadband coming, don't build everything in download-hell Flash, the user
experience after visit 1 sucks like a pony.