Subject: UKNM: Doubleclick
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 18:37:29 GMT

No doubt this will come as a complete shock to everyone here, but it
appears that the endless protestations about protecting privacy by the
likes of doubleclick, engage, and the rest, was pretty much bullshit.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/cth211.htm

"Slav writes "We've known for a while that tracking of Web users was
possible and a few companies have been experimenting with it on a small
scale. Now DoubleClick, Inc. has confirmed that it's tracking Web
surfers [by name and address] with the help of the databases of its
newly acquired Abacus Direct." Every site that you visit which has a
DoubleClick ad - all 11,500 of them - can be notified of your name,
address, phone number, etc., as soon as you visit the site. Or to look
at it another way, your consumer profile in the gigantic Abacus database
(hundreds of fields of data for essentially every person in the United
States) will now include information about what Web sites you visit."

privacy, blah, blah, my rights to own my own browsing data.

http://www.doubleclick.com/privacy_policy/

"Information Collected in Ad Delivery
In the course of delivering an ad to you, DoubleClick does not collect
any personally-identifiable information about you, such as your name,
address, phone number or email address. DoubleClick does, however,
collect non-personally identifiable information about you, such as the
server your computer is logged onto, your browser type (for example,
Netscape or Internet Explorer), and whether you responded to the ad
delivered."

Doubleclick market cap: 9,485,000,000 USD

number of doubleclick sites: 11,500

rough but generous to them estimate of number of doubleclick cookies
active: 10,000 unique per site = 11,500,000,000

value of my cookie: 85.6 US dollars.

if anyone on this list is from doubleclick, I will gladly share my
personal browsing information with you, for a reasonable fee, I believe,
of 40 dollars.

until that point, my doubleclick cookies in

c:\windows\cookies are full of garbage, and read only.

stefan
--
/**
Stefan Magdalinski, computin mobile:07931 376142