Subject: RE: UKNM: Brainstorming - PC's Next Victim
From: Tim Moore
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:03:08 GMT

You miss the point, Geoff........

From: "Geoff Inns" <geoff [dot] innsatquestico [dot] co [dot] uk>
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2001 5:19 AM

> You are treading on ground so dangerous I really don't want to go into it
> for fear of the emotions it might provoke, and for which this forum is not
> the place, so this will be my only posting on the subject. The more aware
we
> are of the effect of our language and behaviour on others the better
> communicators we will all become. If you rile at the fact that someone
shows
> offence at something you say, even though you mean no offence, I would not
> recommend anger as the best way to deal with it. Political Correctness is
> term left over from the days when Haringey council banned black bin liners
> and blackboards - PC was a knee jerk reaction to the fact that the
previous
> two decades were basically not very pleasant if you were female, an ethnic
> minority, homosexual, an immigrant or poor. progress has been made and
> people are learning that to all live together a certain awareness and
> consideration must proliferate. We've all grown up now.

I agree that biggotry in the form of racism, homophobia, misogyny is self
limiting and totally wrong. We miss the opportunity of learning from
people if they are marginalised. On the other hand it would be a mistake to
try to live life without upsetting anyone. Think about it, some group,
somewhere will be upset by virtually everything you do. Get in your car and
environmentalists will be upset. Eat a beef sandwich and some Hindus will
be upset (apparently you get life for killing a cow in India!!). Write a
free thinking article in China and the Chinese government's gonna get up
set.

IMHO the thing about being PC is how far do you take it? The point I was
making in my 'angry' response to the original mail was that, to me people
objecting to the word 'brainstorming' is taking the PC thing a bit too far.
There is a point at which PC becomes cultural facism and the 'brainstorming'
example is bordering on it.

I shall refrain from commenting on this subject further.