Subject: Re: UKNM: Another Argos? What, no moral dilema?
From: Speechrad
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:57:49 GMT

Despite my earlier posting about the difference between offering for sale
and
invitation to treat, I have rethought my position on this issue.
We all make mistakes, and let's hope all those on the list don't one day
make
a similar error by underpricing a product and get stung by all the others on
the list who've learned so much from this exchange.
Some website designer is probably going to get it in the neck, which we are
all apparently unconcerned about, but if a poorly paid shop assistant gave
us
too much change and we knew he/she would have the overpayment docked from
their wages, we'd probably come clean and refuse the extra change.
So people happily demand to be allowed to buy a TV at £3.99 when we know it
should be £399.00 and that the supplier will lose, perhaps £300 per sale
while condemming a hard up shoplifter stealing goods worth much less from
the
same supplier's bricks and mortar site. Or is it that they themselves would
shoplift and it's only the fear of getting caught that bothers them?
Of course, one act is legal and possibly even supported by law while the
other is illegal, but they are both taking advantage of a lack of security
and, I would argue, morally wrong. But that's just my old fashioned
pre-Thatcher upbringing.
Obviously, the downside to on incorrect pricing could be job losses on a
grand scale or, more likely, that suppliers start to build compensatory
costs
into their overheads in the same way that shops allow for shoplifting.

Mick Trott