Subject: Re: UKNM: RE:Ideaz
From: Ashley Pomeroy
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:22:25 GMT

books ;-) that can be bought online as the customer doesn't necessarily
need to experience them first-hand in order to be confident in the
product.<<<<

One other, obvious point is that a book will fit through the letterbox,
whereas a Christmas Tree, for example, requires either that somebody is
always at home, or that somebody is willing to drive out to the post
office to collect it. Whilst it isn't hard to hop into the car (if you
have one) and drive off to collect the tree, why not use the car to drive
to a local Christmas Tree emporium and select one by hand?
As an online shopper I find that the delay involved in delivering is a
major disincentive, but the speed and convenience (and occasional low
prices) are a major incentive, and it's a battle to see which one wins.

As for the dot-com stall, I find that when I see an advert for a
technology company, I immediately wonder if they're on the verge of going
bust in a spectacular and unexpected way.

On a separate note, my vote for the current least-interesting
internet-related advert is for a new Philips telephone. It has a
computer-generated woman's face peering out from the screen, screaming
'You say it and I'll do it!'. It's a terrible slogan and the woman looks
haggard.

-
"In the land of the blind, the blindest man is king"
Ashley Pomeroy - arpatslab [dot] org - http://www.ashleypomeroy.com/