Subject: RE: [uk-netmarketing] Data Protection Act
From: John Enser
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:59:38 -0000

Sam,

According to the DPR's annual report (from www.dataprotection.gov.uk - but
be warned it loads v. slowly) there were 130 convictions under the DPA in
1999/2000. I know that some cases have been brought relating to web
activity (I believe one against US Robotics for taking names on a(UK)
website without a registration).

The detail from the DPR report is as follows:

Convictions 99/00
Unregistered data users 28
Cases of unlawfully procuring information 91
Cases of selling unlawfully procured information -
Cases of data users 'using' data for unregistered purposes 07
Employee for using data for an unregistered purpose. -
Data user for disclosing data -
Employee for disclosing data -
Directors conniving offences by company 04

and bear in mind that this was only just after introduction of the new Act -
so the figures can only increase.

John