Subject: Re: catching little children
From: salinka
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:15:07 -0000

charles,

when my group built http://www.harriskidzone.com, we had to adhere to the new
COPPA regulations here in the US. mind you, i would imagine that privacy
restrictions in the UK & the rest of the EEC to be a tad stricter perhaps. but
the US regulations are also stringent.

essentially if you market to children under the age of 13 you need to obtain a
parent's confirmation. for example, when a child signs up, they need to include
their parent's email. an email is sent to the parent confirming/informing of
the sign up. the parent must respond to confirm their acceptance. in some cases
a signature is required particularly with sweepstakes & prizes.

here's a link that discusses the US's COPPA rule. http://www.ftc.gov/privacy/ -
perhaps a similar department in the UK has information? if so, i'd be
interested in that link as well. :)

cheers,

sally krumholz
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
senior producer
m|b interactive - new york
http://www.mezzinabrown.com

From: Charles Meaden <cmeadenatdigitalnation [dot] co [dot] uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:06:41 +0000
At 17:37 22/01/01 +0000, you wrote:
>A client of ours has various children based web sites, and is starting to
>think about data capture and using email to market to the little brats.
>They've heard something about a law to do with capturing data from kids
>under 13 yrs old. Does anyone know anything about this, or where I could
>find any rules related to data/child protection?
>As far as I'm aware this relates to COPPA which is a piece of American
l>egislation which came into effect in April 2000 which provides safeguards
>to protect children's privacy on the Internet by regulating the collection
>of personal information from children under age 13.
>Try http://www.kidsprivacy.org/whatis.html for more information
>Charles

Charles Meaden - Managing Director
Digital Nation - Intelligent Internet Marketing
T: +44 (0)208 864 5420
E: charlesatdigitalnation [dot] co [dot] uk
W: http://www.digitalnation.co.uk