Subject: Re: [uk-netmarketing] RE: Row over crackdown on adoption websites
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:38:54 -0000

Severina Publications <infoatseverina [dot] co [dot] uk> asked:

> Didn't carol vorderman just do some 'the internet is great' book or
> something?

Carol Vorderman's Guide to the Internet, by Rob Young and Carol Vorderman,
first published 1998, when I had the singular honour of writing a review of
it. I probably still have the signed copy if anyone wants it. You have to
admit to being a Carol fan on this list to get it though.

But isn't the point here that "The Internet" deserves all it gets? It is a
soft target for anyone in need of a career boost, from flagging governments
to the ageing stars of margarine ads. Unlike most other forms of
communication from tarmac roads to telephones, which have long been
regulated (or regulated themselves) against being used for criminal and
antisocial activity (often not very successfully,) and have sufficient sense
to keep some kind of PR effort going.

Think about it. How many people are killed on the road every year? Roads are
more successful at killing people than any recent mass-murderer with the
possible exception of Dr Skipton. How many crimes are perpetrated with the
aid of the telephone or the postal service? Does anyone call for the
prosecution of the Highways Agency, BT or Royal Mail?

What the Internet needs is to smarten up its image. There needs to be more
co-operation with the police and less antagonism. There needs to be more
focus on professional standards and customer service. The Internet, in the
UK, is badly in need of some wholesome brand building, marketing and PR.

So who's going to do it? The ISPA, the IAB, or any of those other lunch
clubs? Forget it.

I have just started up the Poor old Internet Fighting Fund (PIFF) with a
£1.00 donation. All contributions welcome. Once the fund has enough money,
we will initiate a comprehensive marketing programme to educate the public
to the benefits of keeping the internet going.

I have spoken to Mandy and he says he will consider taking on the role of
Chairman of the Ethics sub-committee.

Ray Taylor
(please note sig text from previous posting)