Subject: [uk-netmarketing] RE: The Rules
From: Felix Velarde
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:07:50 -0000

I would have thought that two compelling reasons not to use frames
are firstly; that web users resize the font in their browser at some
time or other. We all do, all the time, mainly because northern
European design favours fonts we can't read, or a font has been
specified that we don't have on our mac, PC, UNIX box, Linux box or
other machine the developer didn't use. The consequence of resizing
the text is that sometimes it will mean the visitor will have to
scroll to read the (navigation/text or whatever) content of the
frame, the graphic below the text, and so on.

A further gremlin appears if you have switched off scrolling in the
frame specification of the page, rendering parts of your frame hidden.

Secondly, it is difficult to organise a frame-built site so that it
can be indexed by search engines. Which means that even if your
target visitor has the same machine, screen resolution, browser and
font size as the one the site was built in, they won't be able to
find it unless you throw additional cash at the site to make an
alternative search engine friendly version (a further consequence of
which is that updating the site will be twice as complicated). In
which case, why not throw said cash at designing the site properly in
the first place.

felix

--

Felix Velarde, CEO, Head New Media office + 44 (0)20 7737 7579
http://www.head-newmedia.com mobile + 44 (0)777 557 2000