Subject: Re: UKNM: Yell Awards
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:00:26 +0100

Tony Coyle wrote:

> Apparently, the interviewer then asked him what clients could do about it,
> whereapon Eddie recommended that they talk to Yellow Pages about its
> services which offered 'value for money'.

As I recall, Yellow Pages last year ran a promotion offering to build a
"free Web site" by which they meant bung a few lines of pro-forma HTML
somewhere in EYP (itself an almost invisible service).

Not surprisingly they were told to stop it by the ASA. Don't recall if
it was on the grounds of being a "dishonest" or "misleading"
advertisement.

As a Yellow Pages customer I have had a lot of problems recently which
have been left unresolved. They still operate like they were run by the
General Post Office (for those who remember it).

It may be true that some clients are being ripped off with £100k sites.
But you can also be ripped off for £1m, £10k, £1,000 or nothing - as in
the case of the "free website" promotion - just as you can get good
value for £1,000 or £1,000,000. You need to buy wisely.

Anyone wanting to spend £100,000 and not sure if they will be ripped off
or not, I will happily advise them on their choice of supplier.

Ray Taylor