Subject: UKNM: Measuring Browsers
From: Sam Michel
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:58:53 +0100

Hiya...

Back in the dark mists of time there used to be a thingamajig, which kept
track of the percentage of browsers hitting real-life UK websites (not like

http://www.browserwatch.com). Having recently tried to find this info
online and failing, I confered with friends who had also been looking
without any joy.

Seems to me that it shouldn't be too hard to organise a weekly chart of the
share of usage each type of browser, version and operating system averaging
the figures from a good sample of websites with predominantly UK traffic.
I'd be willing to co-ordinate this i.e. gather the figures, if
agencies/clients/ISPs would be willing to email me the figures on a regular
basis.

I can't see that there would be any commercial sensitivity in releasing
this kind of information especially as the published result will only be an average
of the different percentages and I'll happily out up a page on the Chinwag
site with the numbers and links to contributing sites/agencies (maybe with
logos if space allows).

The result would be a handy barometer for everyone involved in website
creation for everyone.

What do you think? Would you be happy to send me the figures? - I'm
assuming that every decent agency should have regular access to this kind
of information (or able to get it easily)...

Toodle Pip

Sam
Chinwag - http://www.chinwag.com
ICQ Pager: 4561042