Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Banner ads ...
From: Sean Phelan
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 12:53:32 +0100

At 2:17 pm +0100 30/7/98, Nick Gilbert wrote:
>On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Matteo Berlucchi wrote:
>
>> Alternative web marketing strategies are proving more
>> effective at building quality traffic (newsgroups posting, partnerships,
>> etc.).
>
>Interesting point Matteo. One question though: how can you *prove* that
>newsgroup posting and partnerships are effective? I have done my fair
>share of newsgroup posting, and while I find it a fantastic way to
>increase traffic, I'm not sure how easy it is to prove it works.
>
>Nick Gilbert

Hm; whenever we add a new source of traffic - banner exchange, search-engine
registration service, major partner site, etc - we create a new URL for the
welcome page. The different URLs all point to the same page, but our traffic
reporting packages count them separately, and we see which initiatives came
close to fullfilling the promises on their glossy brochures/sales pitches
etc. and which did not.

As there are about 100,000 different pages from perhaps 10,000 sites linking
to us, we also use the HTTP_REFERER to track the lower volume sites, and
recognise when they are getting up to the levels that deserve special
treatment such as custom URLs, visits, lavish(?) entertainment etc.

You can track traffic generated by newsgroup postings in this way, though
we don't do it much. Some browsers will put "news:blah.blah.blah" in the
HTTP_REFERER field when a user clicks on an HREF in your posting. I once
spotted a reference to us in a series of postings in an Australian genealogy
discussion group in this way - something I would never have known about
otherwise (another clue was the sudden burst of emails asking if we had
UK maps from 50, 100 or 150 years ago - definitely a sign that we were
being data-mined by the genealogists :-)

In the early days, we use to create custom directories or host names to
track new traffic, but the problem with this is that people bookmark them,
and then you have to maintain them for eternity. Now we just have a
custom "welcome" URL which takes users in to the main site. It doesn't
completely ensure that they only bookmark the main site, but it works
well enough.

Cheers
Sean

Sean Phelan seanatmultimap [dot] com http://www.multimap.com

phone (within UK): 0171 433 0460 fax (UK): 0171 209 5194
phone (Int'l): +44 171 433 0460 fax: +44 171 209 5194