Subject: Re: UKNM: How to deal with rogue websites
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:22:43 +0100

Jo Chipchase wrote:

> I'm writing a feature for Internet Works on 'rogue' (anti-corporate)
> websites and how companies should deal with them.

whoo-hoo. I'll reply to your message and get a career-boosting quote in
some rag I've never heard of ;)

> I'm thinking of the likes of MacSpotlight, Untied Airlines, British
> Scareways, etc.
>
> It would appear that a laissez-faire approach (rather than litigation) is
> best, as a prolonged court case simply draws attention to the rogue site (a
> la Mac Spotlight). Providing answers to the issues raised on the rogue
> site would seem to be another sensible strategy.

a little corrective history:

the mcspotlight (sp) site was built to support the McLibel 2. The court
case was not caused by the website, but rather the other way round.
No-one from McSpotlight has ever been sued by McDonalds.

stefan

--
/**
Stefan Magdalinski mobile:07931 376142