Subject: Re: UKNM: Underwriting phone bill
From: Clay Shirky
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:14:28 +0100

> implementing it would, I agree Duncan, take a little care, but if you
> are offering this discounted service, it would be easy enough to install
> the correct software on the users machine - only weighing in at a few
> kb's, or the right servier-side programming, to allow this with a degree
> of ease.

I gave this some more thought last night while I should have been
adding my surplus labor value to my employers kitty, and I think you
could make it even easier (since it is essentially a marketing tool).

Just say "One Hour FREE Shopping!" or whatever on the home page, and
then run it like one of those "Free Parking for Customers" deals where
a validated receipt cancels your parking fee. Then you just add a
discount at (60 x BT Rate for that time of day), so that calls during
business hours end up with a 2 pound 40 discount and calls nights and
weekends end up with a 60p discount.

This would have the added advantage of creating an 'incentive' to shop
on the weekend on a free BT/C&W number, which would have the same
effect as coupons, namely a nominal loss to the merchant in the
consumers favor in return for huge savings in customer acquisition
costs.

-clay