Subject: UKNM: RE:
From: Knight, Vanessa
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:30:24 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: William Wemyss [williamwatpanlogic [dot] co [dot] uk (mailto:williamwatpanlogic [dot] co [dot] uk)]
Sent: 23 July 1999 12:19
To: uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com

> Hi everyone. Anyone got any thoughts on the following

>The subject is 'hallway pages' about which much has been written in the
>variuos discussion groups on both sides of the Atlantic. I understand
>the principle behind 'hallway pages' but is there yet any proof that
>pages which are found by the spiders rather than submitted actually do
>end up higher in the rankings?

Hi William
Sounds like you get the Webposition newsletter. You're not the only one to
get curious/baffled about their piece on 'hallway' pages. If you have spider
friendly navigation on your homepage that points to important pages then you
already have a 'hallway' for spiders. The tactic seems tailored for Excite
which steadfastly favours homepages and indexes whatever it likes rather
than what you ask it to, goodness knows where they got the higher rank idea
from.

Danny Sullivan made comment on this on the I-Search mailing list recently -
you can find his response here, its the last post:

http://www.audettemedia.com/i-search/archives/143.htm

Regards,

Vanessa Knight
Web Researcher | Brann Interactive