Subject: Re: UKNM: Underwriting phone bill
From: Jay
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:13:17 +0100

Mike Butcher said:

> >> You can't actually measure how long anyone looks at a page - you can
> >> only measure the time spent between various clicks within your site.
>
> Funnily enough there a software firm in the States (name escapes me for
the
> moment) which has developed an ad-tracking system allowing a tiny Java
> applet to be sent with a banner. This runs inside the user's browser for
as
> long as the page is open and sends a time-stamped message back to the
> ad-server. Cute huh.

Java-schmava!

It's trivial (I just did it - 26 lines) to write a bit of javascript
(Netscape 3+) that polls a server-side CGI and lets you know when your web
page is being looked at. If the web page is left open, but another window on
the user's desktop has focus (i.e. they ain't looking at your web page), it
tells the CGI what time the page lost focus, and how long it was looked at.
It also logs when the window regains focus (is being looked at), and can
repeat this ad-infinitum.

Any takers ;)