Subject: UKNM: Free computers and forced advertising
From: Marc Walker
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:52:52 +0100

If you haven't already seen the back of Online Time computers are now
offering "free" computers.

A low spec PC and a £10.58 monthly subscription (minimum 36 months) to
NetlinePlus ( their Internet service) doesn't seem like a bad deal.

I am sure that there is a ready stream of advertisers waiting to target each
subscriber. This wouldn't be such a problem if the ads were targeted to a
profile rather than just ad hoc, blanket delivery of Reader' Digest style
adverts.

Does anybody know if this "freePC" approach requires a subscriber threshold
i.e. 200,000 subscribers to make the advertising worthwhile?

I'm sure this will make a dint in the Freeserve model. Will they also start
to give away free PC's?

Who will be next - Dell, Gateway...

Marc Walker
Electronic Publishing Consultant