Subject: UKNM: ADSL
From: tdibble
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:32:26 +0100

BT Backs Off From Retail ADSL
By Jeremy Scott-Joynt

British Telecommunications plc has decided not to offer its ADSL high-speed data service, due to be rolled out in ten of Britain's biggest cities by March 2000 at a cost exceeding 250 million pounds (US$405 million), as a retail package.

"We will not sell this connection to end users," a BT spokesman said. "We'll wholesale it to people who want to bundle the connection with the content or the service." BT will, however, offer ADSL itself as part of corporate contract packages.