Subject: Re: UKNM: dotcom advertising - or PR?
From: Fiona Campbell-Howes
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 16:23:50 +0100

I crafted a long email in defence of hi-tech PRs but when I reread it it
sounded a bit pathetic, as it tended to pass all the blame back to the
client.

PR can be a curse - trying to get "ongoing coverage" and justify a retainer
budget for clients that have only something interesting to say or someone
interesting to say it once in a blue moon. I do agree that sometimes we
don't think hard enough about how to approach something so that all parties
benefit and no one gets pissed off.

The one thing that hi-tech PR agencies definitely do wrong is getting the
most junior staff (sometimes even administrators) to call journalists.
These poor creatures are usually really nervous and have had no time to
learn the basic principles of PR, understand the intricacies of the client's
technology or the markets in which the client operates, or grasp the
workings of the media. It's not their fault and they usually grow up to be
good PRs, but it reflects badly on the agency as a whole.

"Down-and-out deception" though, that sounds bad. I'd be mortified if I
thought I'd ever deliberately deceived a journalist. What kind of thing did
you mean, Neil?

Fiona