Subject: Re: UKNM: Bad search engines
From: Russell Findlay
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:32:12 +0100

I guess charging for entry has something to do with a long term ambition to
make money. I guess you may wish to get listed under other keywords
(Internet Radio, Radio etc) and with a compelling offer which can generate
cash you might be prepared to pay for the benefit. Soundbreak.com is
willing to pay for the privelege in the US.

I am a firm believer in the bid for search engines as it creates a more
efficient market for advertising on keyword searches as it adds a much
needed element of price flexibility to the online advertising market.

Instead of seeing one advertiser (in the case of keyword sponsored banners)
or a small number in the case of other tools such as lycos' or Direct Hit in
the US). Anyone who is willing to pay sets their own price. This cuts out
the need for portals to consider the value of different keywords and adjust
advertising prices accordingly. This has to be inefficient, since it is
unlikely that yahoo knows the value of all different keyword searches, but
those involved know the value to them. Many portals have fixed rates across
all words, which is blatantly inefficient as it assumes that each has the
same value: I would argue that mortgages has a higher value than
toothpaste - and this I imagine is borne out in goto.com (The mother of all
bid for search engines).

For the consumer it means that they get to commercial sites first, which
some may see as good and some as bad. Paid for listings sites thus cater
for those customers who see benefits from listing highly commercial sites
first. This market segment is large enough in the US to support goto.com and
I believe it will be significant in the UK.

An example would be search engines which are not commercially driven tend to
bring up countless personal (and often uninteresting sites with keyword
searches. These customers would rather not be inundated with pages about
Johnny moving his personal homepage, when what they want is a firm to help
them move home - on goto.com, it is more likely that searching for moving
home will find a property website, since it is in their interests to bid for
this as it will attract the righ kind of customer, whereas Johnny won't pay.