Subject: UKNM: Show us your briefs (was Shortsighted 'net' experts)
From: Lois Grayson
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 15:04:32 +0100

Michael wrote:

> Re Teleworkers
> Never mind Niki,
> I run a directory for teleworkers and have been involved in that area for
5
> years. It's still true that most employers distrust them and where they
> accept the concept it is just a way to avoid employer's liability and save
> on
> office space - their ideal teleworker is in the building next door.
>
> A hundred years ago the majority of small businesses were run from home,
> unfortunately some people are narrow minded control freaks, still
influenced
> by the workplace politics of the last 70 odd years.
>
> They would probably have been a crap client to work with anyway.
> Michael

I do everything remotely (don't read that the wrong way) and it seems to
work best when there's a v clear client brief. And how often does that
happen? I always try to factor in a) time and b) money for me to get the
brief pinned down first - which usually means a meeting or two. The only
time face to face stuff isn't necessary is when either:

a) the project is an extension of an existing programme - so the strategy,
concept/brand planning and assets already exist
b) my knowledge of the client's business is deep enough for a 5 min
conversation to get an outline agreed together

Michael is so right though - IMHO individual teleworkers are trusted but as
soon as a project needs more than say three people some need to hold on
(neurotically) to the idea that they should all be in the same room. Why? My
theory is that some clients/bosses ignore the age old adage 'Price, Speed,
Quality; pick any two' and expect all three to be delivered on every project
every time. We all strive to accommodate people like this but it sure as
hell stretches virtual teamwork to the limits........... 'cos nine times out
of ten the lack of a proper brief results in too many assumptions being
made, and when there's no time to keep getting hold of people to sanity
check then gaps start appearing.

So come on marketing managers don't diss us remote networkers just recognise
that the problem lies - as always - at the root of each and every activity -
lack of time (ability in some cases) to think through the brief. 'Twas ever
thus.

Lois (sigh)

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036