Subject: Re: UKNM: big ISP news
From: Jim Sterne
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 16:37:10 +0100

At 1:42 PM +0100 6/2/98, Richard Houston wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>If this is true, then it's a very bold move.
>Is it confidence, or desperation?
>
><QUOTE>
>Virgin Net to offer free Internet access:
>Internet service provider Virgin Net is expected to announce tomorrow
>that it is to offer free Internet access to all. The move will shake up other
>ISPs such as Demon and BT, who will be forced to adopt similar schemes
>of their own to compete. Revenue will come from advertising and premium
>services. (1/6)
></QUOTE>

The Web and TV are going to merge. There is no stopping them.
The TV model is free access (aside from licensing) and all
supported by advertising. Why not the Web?

I figure we'll end up with three levels of Web access:

1) Free. Put up with the ads and all the content you can drink.
2) Paid. Faster response, no ads. For people who are a bit
more serious about their connection.
3) Premium. Higher feed for higher bandwidth. For businesses
that depend on the Web for commerce and communication.

Think:

1) TV
2) Cable
3) Pay-per-view

So... BT and Demon will have to come up with competitive
services, but they do not have to dismantle the systems
and services they have in place already.

Jim Sterne http://www.targeting.com
jsterneattargeting [dot] com Target Marketing
Author: "World Wide Web Marketing" +1-805-965-3184
"Customer Service on the Internet" Consultant
and "What Makes People Click - Advertising on the Web"