Subject: RE: UKNM: Real Names
From: Elizabeth Van Couvering
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 13:34:19 +0100

The thing about RealNames, from my point of view (not speaking as official
Excite here) -- what happens when a bunch of people want to be joe's diner?
The domain names structure takes care of this by adding heirarchical
suffixes for geographical location and (sometimes) for type of organisation
(so pentagon clothing can be distinguished from the Pentagon). However,
RealNames removes this feature. It's like they're shortening the lifespan
of the product, just when these kind of issues are coming to the fore in
other ways. I'm just not convinced.

E.