Subject: UKNM: Wasting time on tenders in Hungary
From: Steven Carlson
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 17:07:46 +0100

This is the thread that shakes me out of lurk mode. Thanks.

I'm part of a web design/consultancy company in Hungary, where tenders are
almost always decided in advance. In Hungary, our rule of thumb is that if
you don't already know who will win the tender, it certainly won't be you.
It's oddly comforting to learn this is also the case in the UK.

As Marx points out, economic necessity determines our choices. In 1995, my
colleagues and I spent countless hours, days and weeks educating potential
clients, many of which are *still* undecided about whether to have an
Internet strategy. It was disheartening, but we needed the work.
Fortunately, today we can be choosier. Experience has taught us the best
customers are those who know what they want, who recognize value and are
ready to pay for it. The rest are best avoided.

Often the client is just fishing for ideas and advice, which means you show
up at a meeting to find you're pitching against the client's old pal from
university. In one case, I discovered a proposal I had written circulating
a client's office, disguised as an internal memo. Another client took our
ideas to a cut-rate competitor who butchered the job. Cool.

What to do? Most customers here will not pay a pitch fee, so charging one
is an easy way to avoid the unnecessary expense and effort of yet another
pointless tender. It's also a good dodge to ask for a spec, because the
pretend customer never has one.

=s

=s

Steven Carlson data is duty free