Subject: Re: UKNM: Credit card fraud
From: Craig Pickup
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:42:02 +0100

Trevor May wrote:
> > As anyone here started looking at what the new data protection legislation
> > currently going through parliament will mean for their clients? From what I have
> > seen it will have a big impact on the on-line community.
>
> Is this connected to the proposed EU privacy laws touched on in this (or last)
> month's Wired?

The new legislation is being brought in as a response to the EU's Data Protection
Directive issued in 1995 and which has to be implemented by October 1998 by all EU
members.

The basic data protection principles outlined in the bill include:

1) Personal data shall be processed fairly and lawfully and, in particular, shall not
be processed unless-
(a) at least one of the conditions in Schedule 2 is met, and
(b) in the case of sensitive personal data, at least one of the conditions in schedule
3 is met.

2) Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes,
and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or
those purposes.

3) Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the
purpose or purposes for which they are processed.

4) Personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date.

5) Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer
than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.

6) Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects
under this Act.

7) Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against
unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or
detection of, or damage to, personal data.

8) Personal data shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the
European Economic Area unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of
protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing
of personal data.

Craig Pickup