Subject: Re: UKNM: anyone got capital?
From: Clay Shirky
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:52:52 +0100

> A number of things
>
> 1. The amount of capital hasn't been as significant for the usual
> reasons [snip]

This is the best assessment of the NM business climate in the UK I've
seen yet - thanks for this.

> We seem to have a disproportionately small number of "great ideas"
> but they can still happen, viz: Orchestream (nerd technology),
> Moreover (biz e-publishing). And when we do have blockbusters, Keith
> Teare's RealNames and a couple of others, we take them to the
> action, somewhere in the Valley.

The weird thing about this is that I know more New Yorkers than
Londoners who get how important the UK market has become. Everyone on
this list should be getting down on their knees and thanking whatever
gods they worship that Freeserve has upended the market, since it
validates the British internet industry as more than just the
easternmost ecommerce outlet for Silicon Valley.

Britain has already lost ground here - the biggest British search
engine is Yahoo, the biggest British auction site is eBay, the biggest
British bookstore is Amazon, and the biggest UK-based site is run by
the BBC. When the Government can create the most popular home-grown
site going, you know private industry has coming catching up to do.

> 3. Do we have the resources and support networks that are taken for
> granted? London isn't yet great at networking. NY now has NYNMA running
> events virtually nightly;

Being a transplanted Silicon Alley-ite, I gotta say that whats missing
is not just a London NYNMA but a London WWWAC - a place not just for
marketers but for developers as well, and for new arrivals trying to
find their way around. London needs a mailing list with the necessary
mass of thousands of readers to actually affect the way business is
done when new information needs to be disseminated.

Where do developers hang out? Is there a list for
techies/html'ers/designers akin to UKNM anywhere?

-clay