Subject: UKNM: NetNames Forwarding
From: Sam Michel
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:30:49 +0100

Out of interest...a friend of mine registered a domain name with NetNames
and used their systems to forward web browsers onto to some free web space
where he's going to host a couple of pages.

He checked the code and noticed that when viewing the page source, a
frameset appeared where there hadn't been any before. So, basically
NetNames have added a zero sized frame to my friend's website, presumably
to track how many times this page is being accessed. It struck me as very
big brother ...and well, it's seems questionable to me, to track this
information.

On top of that, it automatically adds a framset to a page, which doesn't
need one, which brings a host of compatibility issues into play.

This strike anyone else as odd? I can understand wishing to track this type
of information for marketing and demographic purposes, but this seems to
be taking things a long way. Anyone know if other domain name
companies with this service use a similar technique?

Anyone from NetNames care to comment?

Toodle Pip

Sam