Subject: UKNM: free local calls baloney
From: Steve Bowbrick
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 19:34:43 +0100

Actually, the thing that winds me up about all this unmetered baloney is
that access may be unmetered in the US but it's not free - subscribers pay
fairly large monthly rentals for the privelege of unmetered local calls
(and for Universal Service Provision). The economics of running a switched
network really do make it difficult to switch off the meter since
minutes/subscriber line/period is *the* key economic measure in a switched
environment. Trying to run a flat-rate service on top of an infrastructure
designed to be metered leads to the irrationality and capacity crunch of
the US system - pick up a handset in a US home right now and there's a
decent chance you won't get a line out of the exchange. I feel some
sympathy for the hapless telcos trying to marry these two incompatible
economic models in one network...

--
yourname @ sporty.co.uk? yourname @ scary.co.uk?
Spice up your life with Funmail. http://www.funmail.co.uk