Subject: Re: UKNM: free local calls baloney
From: azeem azhar, lists
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:30:44 +0100

At 12:12 pm +0100 22/6/99, Steve Bowbrick wrote:

>decent chance you won't get a line out of the exchange. I feel some
>sympathy for the hapless telcos trying to marry these two incompatible
>economic models in one network...

Don't. In the US, the profits of the Baby Bells histrocally matched the
termination fees long distance providers had to pay them (e.g ATT, MCI). In
other words, these monopoly businesses were only able to turn a profit
because the regulator *set* their generous profit level for them. They were
slow, stodgy firms riddled with poor product innovation and unclear
strategies; and few supporters amongst their customers. (Viz Pactel selling
its cellular business a few years ago: Homer Simpson moment.)

(And as you point out, customers not telcos paid for universal service
obligation).

And BT, of all businesses in the UK, is the least deserving of sympathy.
Tremendous resources and some really excellent staff *and* a monopoly.
Hapless, its true but hardly helpless.

Point about switched networks is well made. And about pricing, UK vs US.
However, its perceived pricing that is an issue. (Well known that people
will often plump for all you can eat pricing for any product rather than
pay as you go, because they perceive pay-as-you-go to be more expensive:
we're risk averse and this minises our maximum exposure.)

And the fight is by no means over. UK is very well poised for a range of
nice competitive access mechanisms for always-on mid-bandwidth (or better
services):

1. VDSL in big towns, if we're allowed competitive access to the copper
2. Wireless modems (spread spectrum stuff, per www.tele2.co.uk; only more
aggressively priced and consumer marketed); perfect in towns and less dense
cities; as well as countryside.
3. GSM/GPRS over cell phones (expected unmetered mobile access to the net
at a premium-ish price within 12 months)
4. Cable modems (NTL, etc).

This free access over PSTN is a 3 year blip. The free ISPs will need to
turn their IP dialtone into a differentiable service that delivers loyal
customers. (Maybe Freeserve could use IPO proceeds to roll out 1 megabit
wireless modem service for 30 pounds a month....nice idea).

There. I've stuck my neck out.

azeem azhar | www http://azeem.azhar.co.uk/
tel 07958 544 593 | icq 315460
fax 0207 691 0464 | pgp http://azeem.azhar.co.uk/pgp/