Subject: Re: UKNM: free local calls baloney
From: Clay Shirky
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:41:49 +0100

> However, its perceived pricing that is an issue. (Well known that people
> will often plump for all you can eat pricing for any product rather than
> pay as you go, because they perceive pay-as-you-go to be more expensive:
> we're risk averse and this minises our maximum exposure.)

As has been pointed out here before, Econ 101 says "People are smart."

When you see people doing something that seems more expensive relative
to the other options, ask yourself what they're maximising - what it
is that makes them prefer the more expensive option. In the case of
flat rate pricing, the thwo things they're maximising are
predictability in the long term - I'd rather pay 20 bucks a month than
have my bill swing from 5 bucks to 30 bucks, even if that averaged out
to less over time.

The other thing they're maximising is a lack of anxiety in the short
term - even if its cheaper, I'd rather not be calculating whether what
I'm doing on the net *right now* is worth the 4p a minute I'm paying
*right now*. The importance of this in getting people to explore the
net, and to use ecommerce, cannot be overestimated.

-clay