Subject: RE: UKNM: Freeserve: "a colossal gamble" (FT/Lex)
From: Robin Edwards
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 19:18:31 +0100

On Tuesday, June 29, 1999 1:20 PM, Ray Taylor [SMTP:tayloratnmcadplan [dot] com]
wrote:
> Anyone going to admit to setting aside some funds for a flutter?

Yes, but I'm in it for the short term.

> Will the flotation be followed by a UK version of the US Internet South
> Sea bubble?
>
> And how long does anyone give it before it bursts?

6 months tops. All it will take is one giant prick... (answers on a postcard
please)

> Loyal customers of a "portal" may well be worth ?1500 a head (purse)
> but can Freeserve subscribers be regarded as loyal customers?

I really do wonder about the "head" count. One thing you can't deny is there
are bloody loads of people using Freeserve, but what method are they using to
count the number of people? Most people I know have several Freeserve accounts,
and presumably there are those with dozens of them used to rack up free web
space. I suppose it's in my best interests not to know the actual figure as it
would probably harm the share price, and slow down the hysterical rush to
become a new net user, both of which are beneficial to me and my clients.

> If anyone cares to stump up a mere 1% of Freeserve plc's projected value
> (for the first few weeks of its existence) I would be delighted to be
> able to help them launch a UK portal that will piss all over Freeserve
> by Christmas.

Piss all over Freeserve? In my best Angus Deaton style (minus the dodgy suit,
natch) I have to ask, "in what way?"

Robin

--
Robin Edwards