Subject: Re: UKNM: Arse
From: Peter Borg
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:13:53 +0100

--- John Blower <johnatfeniks [dot] com> wrote:
> Tim [dot] Haywardatjwt [dot] com took the time to write:
> > When I talk to a roomful of students,
> > I want to let them know the power the web can give them. What a
> > rotten shame that all they want to know is how to make money out
> > of it.
[SNIP!]
> The reality is that the Web is just another medium. It may be more,
> but that's how it is perceived at the core. At the edges, yes,
> individuals and organizations may be subverting the established
> order - but so did Oz magazine (and look at Felix Dennis today...).

I agree that the perception of the marketing sectors is that it is
just another medium, but to millions of people it is something more,
whether or not they realise it.

For the first time, anyone can publish their own thoughts and
opinions and reach millions of people in a very short space of time
and with very little effort.

It allows communication and information sharing on a scale
unparalleled by anthing before. Further, authorities can no longer
restrict the flow of information through censorship of traditional
media agencies.

More, it's a two-way medium, allowing feedback and the creation of
new communities consisting of people from diverse locations and
backgrounds.

Perhaps making use of this rather than treating it as a one-way
communications medium would allow organisations to perform better all
round.

> Let's face it, most people don't want to change the world.

I disagree. Given the opportunity, I'd say that for better or worse,
most people do want to change the world in one way or another - they
just don't think about it because they don't believe they can.

Peter.

=====
--
Peter Borg