Subject: Re: UKNM: Arse
From: John Blower
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:22:39 +0100

In a mail timed and dated 02:25 AM 6/26/00 -0700, the talented Peter Borg
took the time to write:

>For the first time, anyone can publish their own thoughts and
>opinions and reach millions of people in a very short space of time
>and with very little effort.

Hmmm. So if I publish my thoughts on the Web, millions of people will flock
to my site to view them?

I think not. If I want the millions, I shall have to inform them of the
existence of my page(s). And, unless I strike a particularly resonant chord
in the breasts of my audience, I shall nedd tons o' money to tell the world.

The situation you describe may have existed for 18-24 months in 1994-96. No
longer.

I'd refer you to Gerry Mcovern's latest column

>It allows communication and information sharing on a scale
>unparalleled by anthing before. Further, authorities can no longer
>restrict the flow of information through censorship of traditional
>media agencies.

"Information" is only meaningful when it can be acted on.

>Perhaps making use of this rather than treating it as a one-way
>communications medium would allow organisations to perform better all
>round.

The inherent inertia of large organizations militates against this. It
*may* happen - but only at the periphery.

>I disagree. Given the opportunity, I'd say that for better or worse,
>most people do want to change the world in one way or another - they
>just don't think about it because they don't believe they can.

Idealism is wonderful - without it, there would be no progress. But the
recent history of progressive thought indicates to me that the majority
need to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into tomorrow's Utopia.

Cheers!

John Blower/FeNiKs Business Communications
795 Mammoth Rd, #23, Manchester, NH 03104
V: 603 668 5601 F: 707 220 7490
Trainer at Large/Ace Copywriter
http://www.feniks.com/ johnatfeniks [dot] com (mailto:johnatfeniks [dot] com)
LessText at a Discount