Subject: Re: UKNM: this may be a false alarm, but....
From: David Bowen
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 17:27:37 GMT

This sounds very similar to the Good News virus of a couple of years ago
(early Middle Ages, Internet time). I was told by three people about it
separately and ran a piece about it in the newspaper I wrote for. I was
then roundly abused by readers because"everyone" knew it was a hoax that
had been around for at least six weeks.

As I remember the virus warning was supposed to have come from the
Federal Communications Commission (or something), so there seems to be a
pattern.

One of the problems (apart from the possibility that they may wipe out
my computer) is that these things drive a wedge between old hands on the
Internet and people just venturing onto it. Responses on UKNM are very
civilised. I bet if similar postings were put on most Newsgroups, they
would trigger floods of abuse.