Subject: UKNM: VIRUS WARNING: as a marketing method...
From: Sam Michel
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 17:40:57 GMT

Blimey, what a reaction to Dom's post about viruses a few days ago. I think
that's the most reaction any post on the list has had! The messages about
the original post are still flooding in, but in the interests of preserving
sanity, I won't forward them on unless they're bringing up a new point.

As a marketing method, they lack, well, let's just say credibility, however
in terms of longevity and penetration the results are amazing. I don't know
if anyone watches the BBC's 'Here & Now' show - a sort of semi-serious
current affairs made easy program. A while back they featured a former
patient (I forget his name), with a very serious illness, made a plea for
people to send him 'Get Well' cards so he could make it into the Guinness
Book of Records. Some kind souls posted this plea onto the Internet.

He long ago entered the record books, and is still receiving sackloads of
mail. The Post Office in the UK joined him in a plea to the public to stop
sending him cards.

A chilling thought struck me, so far these viruses have been fairly
harmless (aside from gobbling up bandwidth), however if someone spread
something unsavoury about a company or individual using these techniques,
it could be a major problem. We often talk about how great the 'net is for
spreading the message, but I suspect most companies actively using the 'net
for publicity don't have a contingency for dealing with adverse publicity.

There was a feature in Revolution sometime ago about PR companies waking up
to the Internet, and how to deal with this (I can't remember the issue,
Stovin can you help?) - it gave me some hope, although I wasn't convinced
they _got_ how these situations can arise.

Toodle Pip

Sam
Webmedia Group, 21 Noel St, London, W1V 3RD
T: 0171 494 0812 F: 0171 434 1304 E: samatwebmedia [dot] com
ICQ Pager: 4561042
Webmedia: http://www.webmedia.com
ShockeR: http://www.shocker.com