Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: marketing spam
From: Ross Sleight
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 16:06:03 GMT

Lee -

If you know people who have requested more information from you, then
your e-mail is providing a useful and applaudable service

If you know people but they haven't requested more information from you,
then this is direct marketing 'junk mail' and works on a similar
principle as list buying in trad DM (which technically is actually
buying a group of people that you think would like to know about your
product because they have registered an interest this area/similar
products elsewhere - e.g. Targeting AMEX at an Access card holder). Its
acceptable in my mind, but only just - and the deal you offer them had
better be good. Better use here would be a PR release or editorial, or
content distribution deal on top music sites etc.etc.

If you don't know people (and obviously they haven't requested info from
you) then you are sending unsolicited e-mail and spamming them. Prepare
for the consequences.

Hope this provides a good topic of debate!

Ross