Subject: Re: UKNM: " lack of faith in the Internet as a brand-building tool "
From: carlo andrea pattacini
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 16:06:04 GMT

---Andreas Walde <andreasataxcess [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote:

> I would like to hear any comments to the article in mlast issue
> of Campaign (p. 18) about the American web market "Cutbacks
> force a Web rethink". I don't want to discuss about negative trends and
> shake out. We did this already on the list.
>
> But rather that the article starts with
>
> " ... lack of faith in the Internet as a brand-building tool ... "
>
> I'd like to play the devil's advocate - how would you react to these points
> of
> view ..based on some of the people I'm currently dealing with ;-)
>
> 1) Will the web form part of integrated communications for a FMCG brand,
> but one that is really unimportant because it does not reach its most
> interesting target groups? They watch television.
>
> 2) We need standardisation, but doesn't this block out innovation? Banners
> may
> be easy to sell and clients understand them but the model is too close to
> print
> advertising, where awareness rates are coming under increased scrutiny.
> (E.g. GM is declining its print ad spending because it is not efficient
> enough )
> Where are the new advertising models on the web?
>
> 3) Should a brand owner wait until interactive TV kicks off. Then he can
> easily
> integrate the web in his interactive TV advertising campaign.
>

> What are the real strengths for branding on the Internet today?
>
> Andreas Walde
> Axcess Media
> 0171 384 3565

The key is to take the different media for what they
are and for the audience they catch.

Of course the product generates the strategy or at
least suggests the best way to integrate the media.

For an example of what did Intel during the last
superbowl check this url:

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/cn012598.htm

I think this is the right way to integrate new and
traditional media, and also a good point of view of
what a web site must do:
- create a community
- give away useful and attractive contents
- serve several purposes
- don't be overdesigned
- asking for feedback
- giving feedback