Subject: Re: UKNM: Whats next after Freeserve?
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:41:10 GMT

Tim Dunton <timatglobalgold [dot] co [dot] uk> said:

>I've been trying to work out what is going to be the next big thing after
>Freeserve? Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be paid for ISPs where the
>ISP pays you to use the service? Could it be free calls? Could it be flat
>rate calls? Or is it nothing to do with access at all?

In my view, the next big step will be bundled access and calls from cable
operators and/or other telecom suppliers. For instance, a cable firm could
offer unlimited access plus unlimited free connect calls and any other calls
off-peak for a simple monthly fee, say £10.00. It's got to happen sooner or
later. Perhaps even this will become free at some point.

The problem with the free services is that sooner or later users will
realise how much they are paying for call connect charges and support, if
they need it. By offering a package deal, users will get a completely
transparent and good value combined deal which will help also convert
telephone users from BT back to cable again.

Ray Taylor +44 181 639 0015
NMC/Adplan www.nmcadplan.com