Subject: RE: UKNM: Whats next after Freeserve?
From: Martin Lloyd
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:03:11 GMT

> L.A. at christmas, I heard a radio feature about Californian company (name
> eludes me) launching an Access service where each 'successful' subscriber
> was given a PC to access their service.

Freepcs.com is probably the one you're thinking of. The model is that you
sign up for a free PC and in exchange provide them with enough demographic
data to fill a phone directory. Then whenever you use the PC it shows you
adverts and whenever you connect to the net it downloads more ads in the
background.

There's also some kind of checking procedure to stop you applying for the PC
and sticking it in a cupboard to work as a server while never looking at the
adverts.

I'm going to stick mmy neck out now and say it'll never work.

Yours

Martin Lloyd