From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 13:34:03 GMT

I get regular "spam" from Real, Macromedia & similar, which as a
sometime developer I welcome very much.

This may come as a shock to you, but much of the research into direct
marketing & differential marketing indicates that a certain proportion
of the audience welcomes direct mailing - if you get it right.

The other week, I downloaded a pre-release MPEG from the new
Underworld album and a week before release got a nice e-mail with a
download link. This got me a little executable with a snatch from
their new single, some images of the band and details of their current
tour. It was entertaining and useful - hardly a spam.

Legislation to regulate spam would be welcome - mark each message
accordingly, giving ISPs and users the options to block.

Having said that, two "unsubscribe" requests to Virgin.Net haven't
stopped me getting "What's New At Virgin" mails - all because I won
some books in a competition once...

Sajid Mohammed

---Jamie Unwin <jamie [dot] unwinatnml [dot] guardian [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote:

> "expressed an interest in receiving mailings"
>
> <TRANSALTION>
> People who forgot to tick the small box at the bottom of the page
labeled "select this box if you do not wish to be sent further info
on products we think you may find useful"