Subject: UKNM: Re: UKNM Digest V1 #164
From: Ian Tester
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:20:24 GMT

It can be a major hassle hosting any kind of e-mail newsletter service,
perhaps because people change e-mail address so often, then either

a. moan that they're not getting their newsletter anymore when they
registered with an e-mail at a now defunct e-mail address
b. desubscribe from a different e-mail address to the one they subscribed
with, causing your systems to scratch their head. and the desubscriber to
get annoyed. which is bad for you.

Anyone know of a vaguely intelligent system for coping with this (under
£1,000!) ? Some companies in the UK, even the huge ones, seem unable to go 6
months without changing what comes after the @, and it can be a shocker. I
suppose at least with e-mail, the goneaways sometimes tell you they're
goneaways . . . .

Ian