Subject: RE: UKNM: Matha -- how not to do it
From: Robin Edwards
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:04:58 GMT

I think I agree with most of this. My biggest concern has been that Brent
and co have been put forward(against their wishes?) as gurus to the rest of
us involved in e-commerce, either as service providers or entrepeneurs.
Call me old fashioned, but the financial results on offer do not, given the
funding involved, inspire or educate me. I love the concept of buying
things last minute, preferably at a bargain price, but I believe there is
much work to be done on making lastminute.com the ultimate destination for
such a concept - it has already been diluted with basic services that are
clearly not last minute offers.

There have been dozens of recent examples of the hype going into meltdown
(that student one that turned out to be somewhat less impressive in
reality) and offering a very poor service. I don't think I have ever used
the phrase "is that it?" quite so much asI have in the last 12 months.

Question time - does anyone have an example of a recent dot-com that has
lived up to the hype? Ok, to make it easier, lived up to 25% of the hype?

Robin

--
Robin Edwards
Clockworx

On Thursday, March 16, 2000 5:12 PM, Ben Rooney
[SMTP:ben [dot] rooneyatbigfoot [dot] com] wrote:

> As soon as Ms Lane Fox started to become the living embodiment of
this
> "revolution", Lastminute would have been well advised to have got some
> professional media relations/publicity people in to help build the right
> image. I swear if I hear her say she is as technological as a peanut (or
> what ever it is) one more time I am going to scream. I don't know who
> handled the company's PR, but if they were not advising her on her image,
> then I wonder why? She has been far too over exposed.
>
> If/when lastminute all goes horribly pear-shaped she will find that
the
> very people who were lauding her, will turn on her.
>
> The lesson? Think very carefully before cosying too close to the
media.