Subject: RE: UKNM: State of the Nation
From: Carlton Jefferis
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 11:34:34 +0100

Note: I forwarded some of the last few days' discussion to a colleague with
whom I'm currently working on a new business initiative. He's asked me to
forward the response below to the list, which I also endorse.
Carlton
--------------

As we live in such a stick-in-the-mud culture where many European companies
aren't prepared to lead innovation - isn't this a huge opportunity for a new
breed of European entrepreneurs to jump in and beat the monoliths at their
own game?

For example, who needs long distribution chains - so called channel
partners: rubbish! its just more people building more margin into the sale
price. There loads of examples in the US where a nimble and driven small
player has successfully attacked market leaders or exploited new niches.
Can't we do better?

Surely those who can exploit this European apathy and survive commercially
until when the market really does explode, will be sitting pretty come the
revolution.

I'm launching an e-commerce biz in June 98 - scary stuff, but 'I have a
dream'. The plans are in place, but could do with additional resources and
expertise in key areas - any offers?. Am I jumping into an bottomless chasm
or a pot of gold?

I'm in...

anyone else???????

James Samuels