Subject: Re: UKNM: More webwashing
From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:58:14 +0100

---Ray Taylor <tayloratnmcadplan [dot] com> wrote:

> Sponsorship, sponsorship, all the anti-ad netties love to talk about
> sponsorship. But what do they mean? A banner campaign by another name, and
> one where the ROI is hard to pin down.

No! Sponsorship is emphatically *not* banner advertising! Let me cite
a case study from AEP. O&M were working for IBM and decided to sponsor
the business section on This is London. This makes sense because IBM
in general has higher mindshare amongst crusty CEOs and CFOs than
young cynical anti-ad netties, to borrow Ray's wonderful phrase!

Industry average clickthough in the US (according to a recent O-A list
posting) ATM is something like .5%. This campaign got something like
17%. And don't tell me ROI with sponsorship is harder to quantify -
it's as easy as you want to make it. If you can't tailor your solution
to measure effectiveness, I'm not going to tell you for free!

Do the research, crunch the numbers, add a modicum of common sense and
a pinch of genius and you too can be getting clickthroughs like these.

Banners aren't ideal - but they are there in the marketplace and they
are 'good enough' like so many aspects of the Internet. Rick Sareen
pointed out to me the other day that early TV ads were basically radio
ads i.e. men in suits behind desks exhorting housewives to buy Omo.
Gradually the industry adapted to the new medium in a number of ways,
such as advertiser-supported programming or soap operas in the US.

Which is kind of like sponsorship? Last time I looked, the UK's
top-rating TV programme was a soap opera sponsored by Cadburys. Bloody
awful brand fit if you ask me though - Cadburys should have held out
for a Crossroads revival, both being fine Brummie institutions!

Sajid Mohammed
Brought to you today by Bws Caerdydd