Subject: UKNM: RE: boo's demise/ stock
From: Ian Tester
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 18:09:51 +0100

Rod wrote:

>>"As far as I could see, they just "sold out" of stock (whether there was
only
a certain amount of promotional stock or not is another matter)."

We didn't remove any stock at all. It was removed from the site
automatically as threshold stock disappears (called "good automatic
inventory management").

>>"Interestingly, instead of showing an object and saying that it's out of
stock, boo show nothing."

We have an *incredibly* good back end, which does all our logistics/finance
stuff. Cleverly, it talks to the front end, telling it what stock is
available. It also has a threshold level, so that if there's a massive run
on a product, customers still aren't shown products that they can't buy.
Clever, huh? It stops the problem of customers getting those annoying emails
days later saying "oops! no can do". For the real-time user, it avoids many
unnecessary clicks when on the site, and disappointment later. We call it
good integration. Because we have a good range of stock, rather than the 3
pairs of socks and a jacket that many people choose to call a clothing
range, removing the product still leaves the user considerable choice (and
less hassle).

>>"So was stuff strategically removed, or did all us cheap bastards just run
on
and grab as much free stuff as our boobags would hold?"

The latter, and the site worked perfectly, so that all the happy shoppers
didn't get frustrated trying to buy stuff that wasn't available. Good
functionality design I believe it's called. If only I was allowed to tell
you our concurrent user figures. . .btw Rod, did all your stuff turn up in
good condition, within the specified time?

Actually, I was also quite miffed that all the Paul Smith t-shirts went like
Billy-o to these damned consumers before i got my hands on them. Sorry for
re-appearing from promised hibernation, but that was too good to miss, and
now i've taken the lithium, i'm back to normal ;-0