Subject: Re: UKNM: RE: boo's demise/ stock
From: ben
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 12:40:59 +0100

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 03:26:14PM -0500, Stewart Dean wrote:
> Functionality doesnt equal usability.

Stewart,

That's not right. If a good has sold out and is not going to be replaced, a
shop would not have a poster in the window saying "polo shirts £20
(hopefully some will arrive sometime)". They would remove the sign and boo
is merely doing the same.

> Just because something does something doesnt mean people can use it to do
> that task.

And sometimes you don't have any choice in the matter. (I must remember to
look but from what I remember it is illegal to advertise items you don't
intend to restock in some european countries).

> The example given does clearly demonstrate a bad user assumption on the
> behalf of Boo.

And displaying items that are out of stock would be a better solution?
Personally there is nothing more annoying then finding the item you wanted
is out of stock, expected date in stock unknown.

> Ian that is the heart of your problem and the one thing many people simply
> refuse to accept - the people who built boo do not understand usability.
Get
> that right and you're there!

Usability is subjective. What you think is good is not the same as everyone
else. Granted Boo's website is not the worlds greatest but I think that
probably has as much to do with Organic (remember them) as anything else.

> The backend is great - the brand fine - the products cool. But people are
> just being turned off by the buying process. Boo has been used in
usability
> conferences as how not to do things by the ruling masters of usability.
>
> Boo is the Word of the internet. Great functionality - messed up interface
> and what's with that annoying assistant? The thing is with Boo people have
> an option to go elsewhere.

Oh and you haven't looked at the site recently. I think she's gone part time
or has otherwise been tied down in some way. I know the site is being
worked on but it does take time.

Ben