Subject: Re: UKNM: Is UK Web site advertising campaigns set to go the way of
From: Geoff Inns
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 20:25:05 +0100

the
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 15:56:20 +0100
Sender: owneratchinwag [dot] com

I think the UK agencies wait until you have got the cash first.....aren't
they turning everyone away at the moment anyway?

People don't treat their agencies with enough respect at the moment (and
this from a media owner!). Friends who work in established agencies
servicing dotcom clients comment on the rushing-through of campaigns. I
know of a sizeable TV dotcom ad that was put together in just 2 weeks,
despite agency protestations, at the insistence of the client - that's
writing the ad, getting the cast, shooting it, editing it, buying the
time... no wonder it was crap.

These same agency folk inform me of all their other wonderful services that
they are offering other, less-lucrative clients because the client trusts
them and allows them to work their best at their speed. Most dotcom clients
do not get the most out of their agency because they have not given them
enough time and have severely rubbed their back up the wrong way. Clients
should not treat ad agencies as a service provider answerable to God
(MD/Marketing Director) but as a partner, with the consideration for their
work /work pressure as you would any other partner. They should be privy to
the business plan and the growth of the client. It's about time and
expectation - has Clickmango suffered because they launched five months
after ThinkNatural? Have they lost irrecoverable market share? In most
cases, a couple of extra months does not make a difference - that time
should be extended to partners as important as an ad agency.

Geoff Inns
Business Development Manager
Guardian Unlimited